How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Utah?
Utah does not have any specific legal requirement for sexual harassment training for non-government workers, training is required for all state employees. Visit Utah Laws.
Sexual harassment training in the workplace is highly recommended for private employers as well. Workplace sexual harassment training can help an employer avoid costly lawsuits and reduce liability to the employer.
Under the Utah Administrative Code Rule R477-15, all state employers must provide approved sexual harassment and discrimination training to every state employee within 90 days of hire and supplemental training course at least every 2 years. View R477-15.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources.
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Utah hotels:
Hampton Inn Orem
851 W. 1250
Orem, UT, 84058
Provo Marriott & Conference Center
101 West 100 North
Provo, UT, 84601
Salt Lake City
Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel
150 W. 500
Salt Lake City, UT, 84101
Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City- West Jordan
3923 W. Center Park Dr.
West Jordan, UT, 84084
West Valley City
Crystal Inn & Hotel West Valley City
2254 W. City Center Ct. I-25, Exit 18
West Valley City, UT, 84119