How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Oregon?
That being said, the Oregon government Technical Assistance for Employers states that they agree with the EEOC, and that proper training is essential. Policies should be laid out and agreed upon by employers, that cover workplace sexual harassment definitions, grievance procedures, and prohibited behavior. Departmental or unit meetings should be held to make explicitly sure that all employees understand these policies thoroughly.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Oregon hotels:
66 E. 6th Ave
Eugene, OR, 97401
Days Inn & Suites Gresham
24124 SE Stark St
Gresham, OR, 97030
Courtyard Inn Portland Hillsboro
3050 NW Stucki Pl
Hillsboro, OR, 97124
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland
319 SW Pine St
Portland, OR, 97204
Hampton Inn & Suites Salem
510 Hawthorne Ave
Salem, OR, 97301